Monday, May 27, 2013

Ramble 28: Gladly the Cross-eyed Cat

This guy lives next door to Marge and Sergei. They call him/her, Gladly the Cross-eyed Cat.
Recognize the mondegreen? That is, "the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result of near-homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning"?
Here is it:
"Gladly, the cross-eyed bear." From the traditional hymn,   "Gladly The Cross I'd Bear."

Here are other mondegreens:
    "There's a bathroom on the right."
       "There's a bad moon on the rise."
       Bad Moon Rising, Creedence Clearwater
    
    "Excuse me while I kiss this guy."
       "Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
       Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix
"Woman, take me in your office"
"Woman, take me in your arms..."
Rock your Baby, George McCrae

    "Dead ants are my friends; they're blowin' in the wind."
       "The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind."
       Blowin' In The Wind, Bob Dylan
    
    "Midnight after you're wasted."
       "Midnight at the oasis."
       Midnight at the Oasis, Maria Muldaur
    
    "The girl with colitis goes by."
       "The girl with kaleidoscope eyes."
       Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, The Beatles
    
    "Sleep in heavenly peas."
       "Sleep in heavenly peace."
       Silent Night, Christmas carol
    
    "I blow bubbles when you are not here."
       "My world crumbles when you are not here."
       I Try, Macy Gray
    
    "I got no towel, I hung it up again."
       "I get knocked down, but I get up again."
       Tubthumping, Chumbawumba
    
    "She's got a chicken to ride."
       "She's got a ticket to ride."
       Ticket to Ride, The Beatles
    
    "You and me and Leslie."
       "You and me endlessly..."
       Groovin', The Rascals
    
    "Sont des mots qui vont tres bien ensemble; tres bien ensemble."
       "Sunday monkey won't play piano song, play piano song."
       Michelle, The Beatles
    
    "I'll be your xylophone waiting for you."
       "I'll be beside the phone waiting for you."
       Build Me Up Buttercup, The Foundations
    
    "Are you going to starve an old friend?"
       "Are you going to Scarborough Fair?"
       Scarborough Fair, Simon and Garfunkel
    
    "Baking carrot biscuits."
       "Taking care of business."
       Takin' Care Of Business, Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    
    "Donuts make my brown eyes blue."
       "Don't it make my brown eyes blue."
       Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue, Crystal Gale
    
    "Got a lot of lucky peanuts."
       "Got a lot of love between us."
       Let's Hang On. Frankie Vallee and the Four Seasons
    
    "What a nice surprise when you're out of ice."
       "What a nice surprise bring your alibis."
       Hotel California, Eagles
    
    "Hope the city voted for you."
       "Hopelessly devoted to you."
       Hopelessly Devoted to You, Grease
    
    "I'm a pool hall ace."
       "My poor heart aches."
       Every Step You Take, The Police
    
    "Just brush my teeth before you leave me, baby."
       "Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby."
       Angel of the Morning, Juice Newton
     

Related Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment