Monday, December 3, 2012

Ramble 3: "I talk to the trees...."


I don't drive much but when I drive along Central Avenue, I sing to the trees. I swear those gorgeous Western Sycamores actually sort of...swell, or twitch their leaves at the sound of my voice. (Sergei, not always known for his romantic streak, asks, "Are they twitching... or are they flinching, Marge?)
The man gets his musicals confused sometimes too. Most recently I sang a few bars from, "I talk to the trees" and he insisted that tune was from "Oaklahoma!"
"You're barking up the wrong tree," I told him. Nevertheless, it took an Internet search to prove my point: it's from "Paint your wagon".

"You got me, Marge. Treed, I am!"
Well, if one is going to be treed, this is the town that offers real choice. We have almost 20,000 street trees here...and that does not count trees planted by residents in their own yards."
There's a fine assortment too. Conifers, evergreens, deciduous, the works. In the fall, the deciduous are certainly not shy; they may not drop their leaves as quick as Las Vegas pole dancers drop their finery but the town is nevertheless  littered with thousands of delicately shaded leaves that feel as soft as under-garments.
This year Sergei has paid more attention than ever to the bare branches and in a forthcoming ramble we'll share photographs of the extra-ordinary architecture of bare trees.
As much as I complain about always having to wait  while Sergei takes dozens more photographs than he'll ever need, his omnipresent camera is a blessing, after all.

 
 Palms along Burbank Ave




Western Sycamore...and detail of its bark. It is even more dramatic after rain fall intensifies the hues.


















I call this The Paper Tree since its bark is soft and spongy and a bit like paper...or, perhaps it's a cork tree?
By the way, readers, if you know the names of any of these trees, let us know and we'll add them...and your name too if you'd like that.

Crab Cove's lane of Western Sycamores. The public baths and amusement park once graced this zone but I can't imagine that the view was better then than it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment